The City of Vidor is at the intersection of Interstate Highway 10 and Farm Road 105, six miles east of Beaumont in western Orange County. The area was heavily logged after the construction of the Texarkana and Fort Smith Railway that was later part of a line that ran from Kansas City to Port Arthur, Texas. The city was named after lumberman Charles Shelton Vidor, owner of the Miller-Vidor Lumber Company and father of director King Vidor. By 1909 the Vidor community had a post office and four years later a company tram road was built. Almost all Vidor residents worked for the company. In 1924 the Miller-Vidor Lumber Company moved to Lakeview, just north of Vidor, in search of virgin timber. A small settlement remained and the Miller-Vidor subdivision was laid out in 1929. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 10.6 square miles. As of the census1 of 2000, there were 11,440 people, 4,222 households, and 3,158 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,083.6 people per square mile (418.3/km²). The 2013 ACS 5-Year Estimate puts Vidor's population at 10,769.